Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Scripture; Prayer


I have such a testimony of the power of prayer in my own life. It has strengthened my relationship with my Heavenly Father, it is how I can communicate with Him and let him know of my gratitude. It is also how I am able to talk with him and let him know of my concerns, as He is All Knowing I realize that He knows what our concerns are before we tell Him, but He would so much rather hear from us. As any would Father, He wants to be in communication with His children, it makes the distance between us feel small.

I would like to share a personal experience and testimony building moment with prayer that I had some years ago.

January 20, 2005 I entered a hospital E.R via ambulance at around 2:30am after suffering excruciating pain in my abdominal area. They ran many tests on me and pumped me with Morphine to ease the pain and then informed me that I was going in for emergency surgery because my appendix had burst! They performed the life saving surgery, and after, told me I was lucky to be alive because the infection was throughout my entire body and that it had probably burst 3 to 4 days before I had any pain (which I guess is really unusual). Well due to the wide spread of infection my stay in the hospital would be prolonged, included in my stay was a catheter and a tube that went up my nose and into my stomach to aid in pumping the nasty stuff out!!

Well on the night of my 4 day in the hospital my nurse removed my i.v because the spot it was in was getting old and she wanted to move it to a new location on my other arm. Now keep in mind I had been unable to eat anything but broth and ice chips at this point so I was EXTREMELY weak and dehydrated! Well as she poked me once, twice, three and then four times she wasn't able to get the iv back in, (which is very bad when you are depending on it to give you all the medication and vitamins). Well she gave up and called in another nurse who tried multiple times and was unsuccessful and then a third nurse before calling in a lab tech who was "Very good", they began discussing that they would have to put it in my forehead if she was not able to get the iv in! Well by this point I had tears running down my face I was extremely scared and alone, since it was very late at night and my husband and mother had gone home. The idea of having it in my forehead was not pleasant and so as I heard them say "Ok we will try one more time, but after this...." I closed my eyes and prayed harder than I ever remember NEEDING to pray in a VERY long time, I pleaded with my Heavenly Father to be with me and to enable them to get the iv started in my arm and as I opened my eyes I saw the relief on the faces standing over me and felt the iv begin to work again.

It felt as if He had just answered the most important prayer I had ever said, I knew that He was with me, that He had guided her hand with steadiness and that I was not alone! I remained in the hospital for several more days and had many more miracles take place on my behalf during that time, but that moment when I felt His arms around me, and His comfort during and hour in which I dearly needed Him, it changed me. I was never the same after that, I was better for it, more humble, more compassionate, more open to His miracles and to His unwavering love for me. Little ole me, sick in a hospital, scared, and He was there for me!

I know that through Him all things are possible, and that He watches over us and is eager to hear from us. I know personally of His mercy and love and I am grateful for His hand in my life.


No comments: