Thursday, January 21, 2010

First Class: Not Just a Better Seat, but a Better Way of Life!



At the ripe old age of 31 I was able to fly First Class for the very first time! For some this is a normality, for me, well let's just say I could totally get used to it!

Alexis and I made a trip to Salt Lake City for my cousins wedding and the tickets were courtesy of a friend at Jimmy's work. He worked for United and got us great rates for "Standby" tickets and it turned out to be the best way to fly!

We took our comfy, over sized seats at the front of the plane ahead of the business class. Waiting for us was a fresh blanket and pillow, along with one flight attendant for the 6 of us in First Class and she was very attentive. We were served our drinks and snacks promptly and offered 2nds but my bird sized stomach was stuffed so I opted for my earphones and classical music while reading the New York Times instead. Once we had reached 30,000 feet I was taken on a tour of the cockpit and even offered a chance to fly the plane. Who knew that a thin curtain had been separating me from a new life all this time (ok well really I mostly have flown Southwest and they don't have First Class, but still)!! Sitting in the warm leather chair I stretched my legs out to their full 24 inches in length and took a breath of the fresh air of high class and knew this is where I belonged. It really was so nice knowing that my Coach bag was safe in the extra storage space provided and that a full day spa was available if I needed to freshen up before landing. The only difficult part was when the remarkable journey came to an end as the wheels touched down in Salt Lake City. As I exited the plane there was a little more pep in my step and a lift in my chin, I spoke in a British accent and thanked the crew for their devoted service to my safe arrival and deplaned. We had been well cared for, and my gratitude ran deep within my being, down to every fiber.






Please tell me that you picked up on my over the top description of First Class??? You know, if you start to think about it, it's kind of true how something as insignificant as a seat on an airplane is a symbol of a "better" life, as is a fancy car, a huge house, a purse or a fantastic pair of shoes! In it of it self none of those things are bad things, in fact it wouldn't bother me at all if I was forced to fly first class for the rest of my life, nor would I feel guilty, but it most definitely does not define the quality of my life now. I believe that at any income/status level there is Joy to be had, and I have for sure had my fair share. The most important lesson is to know that "happy" isn't automatically added when more "Quan" enters your bank account, you have to be happy first, then if the money, the life, the "extras" come (through hard, honest work) it's easier to see it all for what it really is, stuff. Would it be nice, I think it would be. Do I NEED it to live the rest of my life happily, NOPE!

4 comments:

Kari Clark said...

Thanks for the reminder - sometimes, it's hard to not get caught up in the moment and want things that you really don't need. I'm totally guilty of that on occasion. But really, all I want is my family to be happy and have a roof over our heads and food on our table. But it sure is fun to have a "first class" treat now and then.

S.I.F. said...

The first time I got to fly first class for work I almost peed myself. It's funny how little things like that can seem so exciting! I'll take a spa day over first class any day now though... A fancy plane ride is great, but I'd rather have a massage! :)

Holly said...

Hi Marylin - what a great post! I especially liked the part about speaking in a British accent. Thanks for the reminder to "keep it real". I found your blog through BlogFrog and wanted to stop by and say welcome and congrats on your Premium Membership. If you ever have any questions about BlogFrog, just let us know!

Holly (BlogFrog)

Hen Jen said...

lucky you! I've never flown first class...maybe some day!