Friday, May 28, 2010

Flashback Friday: Vegas Baby??



So the kids and I have been enjoying our time here in Vegas, missing Daddy however, but enjoying the unusually cool temperatures, seeing friends and spending time with my parents/"Gram" & "Pa" (according to James).

This whole "growing up" and moving away thing has given me this whole new perspective, not sure what perspective that is, but it's new. I love getting to come and visit the things I enjoy about Vegas, and then I can go home to Colorado. It makes me sad that the city I grew up in and loved growing up in, has changed so drastically in such a short amount of time. In the past I have described it as a cancer that started in a few small areas and has now spread to much of the Valley. The schools, the neighborhoods, the family oriented activities that were a huge part of this city are all on the fritz!!

Growing up in Vegas was great, I had lots of friends, loved my school and ward, and all the fun things we could do as a family i.e miniature golf, hike at Red Rock, Valley of Fire and Mt. Charleston, go to the lake, the movies, Warm Springs, Wet n' Wild, outdoor plays at Spring Mt. Ranch. Now all but, I believe one location for Miniature golf have closed, same with Wet n' Wild, and the last I had heard so did Warm Springs (a natural warm spring). The Strip rid itself of most of the family friendly hotels, and hang outs, everywhere I look there is graffiti, and trash just dumped on the side of the road. What the heck happened to this once great city?

Please don't misunderstand me, there are still so many wonderful people here and there are pockets of Vegas that are better than others, but it just feels like the life has been sucked out! I know that the economy has not helped, and in fact, it has exacerbated the "cracks" that were being formed years before the "crash"! More and more of my friends are trying to eventually leave Vegas, and it makes me wonder will there come a day that I won't have much reason to come back and visit?

I lived in Vegas for 24 years of my life and I look back on those years and smile from all the amazing things I did while growing up here. It saddens me to see it this way, and who knows, maybe it will make a come back down the road. (oh and as soon as I can get some pictures uploaded I will post the fun we have been having.)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

(kasey's comment) Warm Springs is still here, they just closed it for a bit because they had to make repairs to the pool to bring it up to code. I can see where you are coming from, but I love it here. I love raising my kids here, I love where we live and the school they go to. I think we live in a good neighborhood with good neighbors and people I trust who look out for one another. But I have a different connection to this city that not many people claim. My grandmother was born and raised here, my father was born and raised here and this is where my family is. Our roots are deep and there is no other place I'd rather call home.

chanel said...

i have to comment, even though it might seem weird i am reading your blog! i am BORED and just started clicking away and found you...again...:) But I have to say, with a 4 year Colorado perspective I have gotten to that place you wondered...what is there to come back for? I LOVED LV and I too grew up there,my hubs and his parents AND grandparents were all born and raised there but it doesn't matter to us... the quality of life is sooooo much better here, and it really isn't something you recognize until you leave and see it and how much it lacks, how better life can be. Simple little things like CLEAN air and land, non cinderblocked walled off neighbors, no billboards you have to explain of HIDE from your children, no graffiti, it all gives you such a more calm and family friendly feeling. Vegas holds great memories for us and we are SAD that we know we can never go HOME again, but grateful we got to experience a time there when it wasn't so rundown. Its is always WONDERFUL to be with family though, so keep having a good time. And seriously if you want to ever meet up, Im not that far from ya. :)

Marylin said...

Chanel I am glad you commented because you also have the same point on view where you lived there and knew nothing else, and then moving away brings this whole new idea of how other people have been living this whole time :)