Friday, May 22, 2009

Flashback Friday! Memories


With the move getting closer (as in 2weeks) I have been thinking back on the 24 years I have spent in Las Vegas. I have been looking through old family scrapbooks when I came across this photo of my siblings and I on our first day of school here in Vegas. I was starting 1st grade, Alyssa 3rd and Janna 5th at Lewis E. Rowe Elementary, Jack had just turned 1. We had just moved to this "big" city from a very small town and I remember being so nervous, well here I am leaving for the first time since and again I have those butterflies when I think about starting over. I am excited for the new people I will meet and the adventure of moving away but a little sick to my stomach at the same time. In so many ways the times has flown by, I can't believe I am 30, married with 3 kids, was it supposed to go that fast? When I was little it seemed like everything went soo slow, I couldn't wait to be "big" and now I am and I wonder what the rush was!!

In 24 years you meet a lot of people and make a lot more memories, the streets of my old neighborhood are lined with them, the 7-11 on Flamingo and Sandhill that we would walk to for Slurpee's, the Smith's grocery store that we bought our toilet paper for "decorating houses" with, the schools I attended or rather spent time "away" from when I had "better places" to be. I am so glad for my brain, for the fact that it has retained all the information for me so I can take all of it with me, all I will have to do is close my eyes and the images of sitting at my best friends cheer competitions or singing in Nicky's (another friend) truck listening to Tracy Chapman, will all come back to me. It won't be the same as being within a short drive to their houses for craft night, or a trip to Joann's and then sandwiches at Great Harvest Bread, but it will have to do.

That's why all of you will be on rotation for visits to see me, we plan on having a bed made and ready for visitors, and a basement to keep them in!! :) I know this was a long flashback but I've been here a long time!

6 comments:

Shauni said...

I've seen that picture before! Your mom must have sent it to my mom way back when--I think it's in one of her photo albums! Good luck with the move--I'm sure it will be such a great new adventure and blessing for your family!

Jessi McCall said...

Hey, I also went to Lewis E. Rowe for K and 1st grade. How funny! I also LOVED sitting and listening to Tracey Chapman. As a matter of fact, I have her in my IPOD, and when I'm running and she comes on it's like I'm 16 again. HA. WHY weren't we friends back then?? I'm sad you're leaving. You're such a great gal. Count me in on the visiting! See ya at your party. Loved the old school flash back!

Jack & Ashley said...

i love this picture

Janna said...

I know it will be hard to move away, I can't say it won't be a challenge, it will. But the best part of moving away is being able to come home. It is always such a happy thing for me as I drive into town.
I love you and I hope we get to come see you before you leave!!

Glenna said...

Good luck with the move... I know you'll make friends faster than you can unpack. You are such an awesome person, you will bloom wherever you are planted.

Liz Prisbrey said...

Isn't it funny how a 7-11 and Smiths can bring back just small little sweet memories. Everytime I look at that Smiths, I remember waiting for Garth Brooks tickets for hours. It was HOT! But still, a great memory! :-)