Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Highchairs and Chocolate Chip Cookies!!

Now some of you may have already heard but the company that Jimmy works for has slowed down and they cut everyones hours and salaries so we have been in a bit of a stress mode around here. He is working on finding a part-time job to make up for the loss in pay, I have been doing my part by cutting back on everything we can around the house, i.e cable, water delivery (that one kills me), changing phone service and then trying to bring a little money in where I can, garage sales and rolling coins that I have been saving! We are staying positive and we know that things will work out, it may not be fun or easy but it will all work out.

Well this past Sunday as Jimmy was writing out the check for our tithing he was very stressed knowing that things were beyond tight, I just looked at him and said that I didn't know how, but that the Lord would provide the way for our bills to be covered, if we did our part. As I had said earlier I had sold some things in a garage sale over this past weekend and we had initially sold things so that we could get a highchair for James, well with other needs not being met, the highchair was going to have to wait a bit.

So skip to Tuesday night, I was in the mood for chocolate chip cookies but we were out of some of the ingredients so I just figured I didn't need the calories and I would clean instead.
Today my Visiting Teachers came over (I love them) well when I opened the door Judy was standing there with a huge (I am tearing up again, gosh pull yourself together girl) plate of CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES! Then as they were getting ready to go Karen looked around and said "Do you need a highchair?" I could barely speak but I managed to say "Yes, that would be wonderful!" she said that she had one that was going to go to D.I and that it was almost brand new and she would drop it by tomorrow.



I teared up as I loaded the little kids into the car to get Lexi from school as I thought about the fact that in those small gestures by two, in tune, Visiting Teachers I knew that my Heavenly Father knew me, he even cared about my love of chocolate chip cookies and a highchair for my little man. They weren't piles of money left on the doorstep (although that would be awesome) they were little reminders that He is looking out for us.

The money thing was worked out also, we have been able to cover our bills. I am soo grateful for the relationship that I have with my Heavenly Father, I know that He loves me and cares for even the small things that will make me happy and give me joy amidst a stressful time. I know that He is teaching us, as only He can, it might not be the way we want or expect but we are in His hands and that is the safest place in the whole world to be.

D&C 6:34-37
Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail......
Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not........

11 comments:

Rachel B. said...

I LOVE this story! It made me tear up too. It truly belongs as a story in the Ensign somewhere. Thank you for sharing and for the reminder of the blessings (even the little ones) that can come from being faithful tithe payers.

The Rowles said...

Thanks for sharing that!!!

Cynthia said...

totally choked me up. thanks for sharing this story.

Sarah said...

I really needed that story today. Definitely a tithing blessing. Or, even a tender mercy story. Could also work as a Visiting Teaching story. . .or a story about inspiration. It would be interesting to know why your VTers made cookies and offered you their high chair. I bet they had some "feeling" you needed it. Isn't Heavenly Father wonderful?

Steph said...

Thank you for sharing that. We all need to hear those stories more often than not. I'm so glad you were able to get what you needed!

Liz Prisbrey said...

It's true, we all needed to hear your story. So many are in the same situation right now and our only comfort is the blessing of tithing. Sometimes it isn't always easy to see how the blessings come in our own life. Hearing about others is always a sure way to open our eyes.

So excited about the chocolate chip cookies you received! I would do just about anything for a cookie! :0)

John and Marissa said...

It's those "tender mercies" in our lives that remind us Heavenly Father loves us so much! What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Steph said...

CAN YOU MAKE ME CRY ANYMORE. WHAT AN AMAZING STORY. YES, WE ARE STILL IN THE SAME HOUSE. BEEN TRYING TO SELL IT FOR A WHILE. COME BY ANYTIME. LOVE YA

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mesa said...

Love you girl! If you need more cookies let me know :) or anything else for that matter!! :)

Jamie and Kiley said...

What a great story! We have been blessed so many times because we have paid our tithing. What great Visiting Teachers as well!