Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Scripture! Good Better Best!

I must apologize for my lack luster blogging, it just seems I haven't had anytime to blog with all the sewing, photo editing, packing, concerts and activities going on in the last month or so!! I have had this post in my head for a week now and I have to get it up before another Sunday passes!!

Last week my wonderful friend Jen gave the lesson in YW on the talk given in October 2007 General Conference by Dallin H. Oaks entitled "Good, Better, Best". I heard the talk and then read it and have discussed it many times and yet for some reason it really hit me as we were discussing it with the girls. Perhaps because I have been so busy lately, or maybe because our family has spent the last year reworking our priorities that I decided in that moment that I really needed to look at my time and make sure it is well spent. I grew up in a household where my parents made sure to teach us the importance of not wasting time, and we are working hard on teaching our children the same principal. Jimmy and I made a decision a few years ago while I was serving first in scouts and then YW and Jimmy was in the YM that we would not allow our children to regularly skip out on church activities for sports or other clubs. We decided that for us, it is more important that our children are spiritually fed and uplifted than it is for them to advance in athletics or "intellectual" activities. Of course we want them to participate in those other "Good" things also, but if we fill their time with all the "Good" things there won't be time for the "Best" things.

This sentiment holds true for both Jimmy and I as well, there are so many worth while things we could do and have done but we must make sure that the "Best" things come first. As in ;
  • Reading our scriptures
  • Attending our church meetings
  • Spending time as a family
  • Serving those in need and each other
  • Going to the temple
  • Writing in our Journals
  • Having FHE (family home evening)
  • Serving in our Callings for church
There are so many wonderful things for us to be working on that we must really learn to put them all in the "right" order. The past few days I have been blessed to spend some amazing time with my extended family, it has been a wonderful reminder that our time is precious and we must make the most of each moment. We should let our loved ones know they are on the top of our lists, not just around the holidays but the entire year through.




All my love



6 comments:

Kasey said...

I need to read this talk in Primary! I can't tell you how many times boys will miss church because they are at a baseball game! It makes me crazy. Especially because if they are doing that as 10 and 11 year olds how are they going to be when they are 17 and 18 and supposed to be preparing to go on missions?

Jessi McCall said...

That was a nice post. :)
Loved the picture.

Kari Clark said...

I'm so jealous of the weather you are enjoying! Thanks for the good reminder to focus on the "best" things. Later, Kari

Liz Prisbrey said...

Would it be bad to say that this post stressed me out?? haha... just kidding! But really, it does add to the list of things I know I SHOULD be doing.

Britt and Rick said...

so you've definately got your priorities straight and you are so blessed with soo many talents all because of your wonderful attitude! You rock!

Britt and Rick said...

Love it!