Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Scripture: Forgiveness

D&C 64:9,10

9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.

10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.


I have often thought of myself as a forgiving person, I try not to take offense too easily and let things go.  Though recently I have discovered there is a great deal of pain that is still unresolved from a long time ago.  In my previous "legal obligation" I was repressed and suppressed, and I think that in some ways in order to punish myself and him I take it out on others, namely my husband and kids.  I realized that forgiveness isn't something you just say or do in one swift motion but that you have to work towards it, and that sometimes long after the offense, there is still a required effort to forgive and then, let go.  It is hard when the one that has hurt you is not there to see the pain they have caused, they aren't there for you to tell them, and most likely they are living their lives without ever thinking about it.  The responsibilty falls on me to pray and seek the ability to forgive.  I am the one being damaged by the lingering anger and pain, and I must make a decision to forgive him, to forgive myself, and replace it with the love of my Savior.  I am not there yet, but I will keep working on it.
All my Love,




3 comments:

Heather B said...

Wow that was a tear-jerker of a video. Thanks for this tonight, I really needed it.

Anonymous said...

what an absolutely beautiful post and powerful message! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Mandi Roth said...

So beautiful!! I needed this today. I'm feeling really down and struggle with forgiveness, and wow amazing how the gospel really works if we allow it to. I think your amazing and awesome to share the things you do here. It really helps me. Thanks again.